Affordable Housing Lending
What is Affordable Housing Lending?
The Affordable Housing program was created in 1986 and made permanent in 1993. It’s an indirect federal subsidy used to finance the construction and rehabilitation of low-income affordable rental housing. Congress created this as an incentive for private developers and investors to provide more low-income housing. Without the incentive, affordable rental housing projects do not generate sufficient profit to warrant the investment.
RiverHills Bank is proud to be part of the legacy that is the Affordable Housing program. This program is widely recognized by both political parties as one of the most successful marriages of private industry and public spending. It also currently provides safe affordable housing to nearly 2.8 million households in the United States. This is important as having safe affordable housing is the #1 predictor of future success of children and their families. RiverHills Bank passionately believes in the benefits of providing safe affordable housing to every individual in the United States and we believe that our support of the Affordable Housing program helps us towards that goal.
RiverHills Bank and Affordable Housing
- RiverHills Bank is a community bank based in Cincinnati, Ohio that has established itself as a leader in 9% Affordable Housing lending. Along with our affiliate Horizon Bank, we have developed an excellent reputation in construction and permanent Affordable Housing lending that goes back to 1992. Over that time, together we have been the lender on more than 600 Affordable Housing projects and currently we lend to 40-50 projects a year. For RiverHills Bank customers, we do all underwriting, due diligence, closing and monitoring in house making it possible to be very easy to deal with and responsive to our customer’s needs.
- What sets us apart is our ability to look at each situation independently and determine what makes sense for that specific developer and that specific project. Put simply, we don’t ever let policy or procedure get in the way of common sense. RiverHills Bank originates construction and permanent Affordable Housing loans primarily in the states of Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan & West Virginia.
Why choose us for Affordable Housing Loans
Part of the reason we are able to consistently attract the very best developers in the country is because of this uniquely simplified closing process:
- The developer always gets to talk directly with the end decision-makers throughout the negotiation, due diligence and construction processes.
- Our staff works with our syndicator partners by sharing their Dropbox and joining their calls so that the developer only has to give out information once.
- We close the permanent loan at the same time as construction.
- Our loan documentation is simplified and straightforward.
- We cap our legal fees on every deal, proving to developers that our lawyers won’t waste their lawyers’ time.
- We don’t ever let policy or procedure get in the way of common sense.
When you put all of this together, along with the common sense approach of our decision makers, we bring great value to our developers and their continued use of us proves they believe it does also.
We are constantly looking to develop new relationships with developers that have a very strong reputation in the industry for constructing and managing a quality property that enriches the lives of the people who live there. RiverHills Bank is not CRA motivated and will follow a developer anywhere within our three-state region. Lastly, we are only interested in lending to 9% Affordable Housing projects (sorry no 4% bond deals).
If you are looking to learn more about Affordable Housing Lending or if you have a project that you are looking to get a financing quote on, please don’t hesitate to call or email Brian Dunlap.
Contact: Brian Dunlap
Phone: (513) 201-2226